Re: STATE_DEMANDS_ATTENTION (was Re: _NET: Disabling shading)

Lubos Lunak wrote:
On Wednesday 01 of October 2003 18:11, Rob Adams wrote:

On Wed, 2003-10-01 at 03:24, Denis O. Mikhalkin wrote:

The way to notify the user about important background actions requiring
attention has been asked from AWT for some time but we wern't able to
provide the implementation since it is not widely supported. I really
would like to see it a part of the _NET protocol - since, as being said,
ugrency hint is not well supported, I think that the _NET equivalent
will be more respected by implementors.

Lubos used a _NET_WM_NEEDS_ATTENTION or something like that hint when
implementing the USER_TIME stuff for his reference implementation in
KWin.  I had intended to use the same hint for the same purpose when I
do the metacity implementation.  I propose that this hint be added to
the specification.

It's proposed here:
http://mail.gnome.org/archives/wm-spec-list/2003-May/msg00013.html

As I already said there, I first thought about using the Urgency hint from ICCCM, but I eventually decided not to. I wasn't sure if it would be ok to set this hint from the WM, and moreover the meaning of this state is actually somewhat opposite to being urgent.

Rob, if you start implementing it in Metacity, I'd first suggest talking to me :). The spec will actually need few more additions (timestamps in messages and identification who sent it, whether an app or a pager), and some of the mechanisms can be somewhat tricky. It's been some time since I wrote that proposal. I'm actually now trying to collect up all these things for proposing the necessary ones here.

I also have plans to implement this in icewm.

There is already support for using UrgencyHint + internal state (for new windows, raise request) for this. Exposing this in a standard manner would be nice.

Should the WM also set this flag when UrgencyHint is set?

Mark