Re: extended WM_TRANSIENT_FOR (was Re: _NET: Disabling shading)

On Wed, 2003-10-01 at 13:54, Lubos Lunak wrote:
>  KWin (in the comming-soon KDE3.2) has a feature called focus stealing
> prevention - it simply tries to block all window activations that the user
> would find annoying (such as "you have new ICQ message" and so on). I already
> mentioned it here
> http://mail.gnome.org/archives/wm-spec-list/2003-May/msg00013.html . ...

I certainly hope this feature is optional.  I can foresee accessibility
problems with it; at this time assistive technologies use
window-activation as their means of knowing that something needs or is
trying to get the user's attention, for instance warning dialogs, etc.
Windows that aren't activated are generally ignored.

A sighted user can 'see' that a new window has been posted, or has been
raised, etc. and that its content has changed, but blind users must rely
on the AT and WM for that.  We have enshrined the 'focus on create'
policy and also the notion that alerts, etc. must steal focus in order
to be heard.

- Bill