gnomewm hints vs netwm hints

Hey,

I'm just wondering what's going on with gnome in regards to its own set of
hints vs the NetWM standard. I'm not sure if this is the right place for
such a message, though the issue does affect us all (except Metacity). I'm
hoping someone (Havoc?) knows an answer to this.

The Gnome WM hints are documented here
http://developer.gnome.org/doc/standards/wm/book1.html

gnome-session attempts to run a window manager on startup, and waits for the
_WIN_SUPPORTING_WM_CHECK hint (I'm assuming) to be set. This means that if
one does not write support for these old(?) Gnome hints, the session manager
waits and just times out eventually.

I searched though gnome code for a few hours today without success to find
this check, so I can't say I'm 100% sure I know what's going on with it.

Do these Gnome hints provide anything above the NetWM hints? Is there a
reason why Gnome2 is still looking for this hint but not the NetWM hint? It
is worthwhile to attempt to support these hints still (for Gnome2)?

Thanks,
Ben
--
I am damn unsatisfied to be killed in this way.

http://www.icculus.org/openbox/