Re: GTK2 font settings

On Saturday 29 of March 2003 00:17, Havoc Pennington wrote:
> On Fri, Mar 28, 2003 at 07:28:06PM +0100, Lubos Lunak wrote:
> > On Friday 28 of March 2003 18:28, Havoc Pennington wrote:
> > [snip]
> >
> > > I don't think it owns the desktop, I think it starts nautilus as a
> > > side effect of calling methods on the nautilus server.  It's possible
> > > a simple change could be made to this code to only kick in if nautilus
> > > is running. Also, for a long time I've been meaning to spec a manager
> > > selection for desktop ownership and get nautilus /kdesktop to honor
> > > it. (Same mechanism used to avoid multiple WMs.)
> >
> >  That can be easily done, but assuming this XKillClient() issue is
> > solved, for what else would this be needed? I fail to see why anybody
> > would try to run KDesktop under GNOME, just like using Nautilus for
> > background in KDE. On the other hand, KDesktop provides some quite
> > important features in KDE, like the Alt+F2 minicli, or some other global
> > keyboard shortcuts.
>
> It's been filed as a Red Hat bug at various times. It was more of an
> issue when nautilus handled GNOME help browsing, so if you started
> help from a GNOME app you would suddenly get a GNOME desktop
> background in KDE. Well, IIRC back a while ago you would get a GNOME
> desktop background *on top* of all your windows because we hadn't
> sorted out the window manager specs. ;-) I think that's fixed at
> least.
>
> We wouldn't want "--replace" mode to be the default for a desktop
> background manager selection, the idea would be that the nautilus
> desktop would not start up if it detected an existing desktop,
> nautilus would then confine itself to being a file manager.
>
> I won't argue it's hugely important, that's why I haven't got around
> to it. ;-) I was just mentioning it, since it came up.

 Hmm, I don't understand why launching nautilus should make it also paint the
desktop *shrug*. So, let's say _NET_DESKTOP_MANAGER_S<screen> , making it
part of the WM spec?

KDE developer
SuSE CR, s.r.o.  e-mail: l lunak suse cz , l lunak kde org
Drahobejlova 27  tel: +420 2 9654 2373
190 00 Praha 9   fax: +420 2 9654 2374
Czech Republic   http://www.suse.cz/