Re: No focus on map hint

Rob Adams writes:
|_STATE properties can be changed once the window is mapped.  But your

yes, I meant that since it doesn't make sense to be able to change the
"focus on map" property, maybe it shouldn't be in _STATE

|point is well-taken.  It doesn't work however to put it into types,
|since you'd want to be able to set this hint regardless of type, and the
|way the type hint works exactly one type is selected as the type to use.
|
|So we're left with either putting it into _STATE or creating a new
|top-level hint.  Which do you think would be better?

I would prefer a separate property:

    _NET_WM_MAP_TIMESTAMP CARDINAL/32

    Read by the window manager when the window is mapped. If the
    property is set to a non-zero value TIME, the application is
    declaring that the window was mapped due to a user action at server
    timestamp TIME. If set to a zero value the window was mapped for
    some other reason (i.e. not caused by the user directly)

but for this to be implemented fully it would require toolkit support,
and probably also a standardized environment variable so that
application launchers could pass initial timestamps to applications.

|Maybe none.  The only reason I'm suggesting this is that people keep
|bitching that in metacity their IM windows get focus when they pop up.
|But I'm starting to think that some sort of hint would be a UI
|improvement.

It may be possible to do this by setting WM_HINTS.Input = False
initially, then setting it to True after hearing that WM_STATE has been
modified? (I don't know if metacity honours the Input hint..)

	John