Re: Applications and layers

On Mon, Jun 09, 2003 at 01:31:50PM -0500, Billy Biggs wrote:
> Havoc Pennington (hp redhat com):
>
> > On Mon, Jun 09, 2003 at 01:10:26PM -0500, Billy Biggs wrote:
> > > [...] Also, how do you mark gkrellm as DOCK?
> >
> > gkrellm is weird in all kinds of ways other than wanting to be on top,
> > e.g. it has no window decorations and moves itself rather than being
> > moved by the WM and so forth.
>
>   So why would you use DOCK and not ABOVE?

ABOVE windows are still decorated by the WM (typically).

> > to mark as DOCK you do as it says in the spec (_NET_WM_WINDOW_TYPE or
> > whatever hint)
>
>   I guess I meant more practically.  How do you set this hint, do you
> use another program to send it, or did you edit the gkrellm source code?

Gkrellm2 has an option in its preferences to make the window a DOCK type.

My take on it is that Window Type hints are meant to be set at map-time
only, and by the client itself, where-as Window State hints (ABOVE/BELOW)
are meant also for use later, and having another application step in and set
them would be considered a normal use case.

[...]

If you wanted to set above/below states in WMs that didn't provide it in a
client menu (but still supported the hint), a tool like xprop/xkill would be
very handy, and work with a lot more appliactions than just adding a --on-top
option to an application at a time. I have a bit of code to do something
like this, if you're interested I could flesh it out and release it.

Ben