Re: Applications and layers

On Mon, Jun 09, 2003 at 11:32:27AM -0500, Billy Biggs wrote:
>   Lubos Lunak and I had a discussion about this on IRC and it sort of
> clarified a bit for me at least what DESKTOP and DOCK should mean, in
> that, I should only use them if I am a desktop or a dock.  Right?

Yes. Though, I think more things are probably DOCK than are currently
marked as DOCK; e.g. I'd tend to mark gkrellm as DOCK. But no, a TV
viewer is most likely not DOCK.

>   I want to make sure of two things though:
>   1. If I provide an 'always on top' key binding or menu option, I don't
>      want the the window manager to do this too but call it 'hover'.
>   2. I only want options that are necessary.  If all window managers
>      provide always on top/bottom in their menus (or maybe an
>      'xkill'-style click-the-window-to-push-down), then it is bloat.

The current spec doesn't try to specify the UI of the window manager
(if it did, at some point there's no real reason to even allow
multiple WMs, since they'd all be the same).  It's true that this
sometimes makes it harder to design a proper application UI, no
question.