Re: RFC: frame size hints

On Monday 08 of December 2003 14:56, Havoc Pennington wrote:
> On Mon, 2003-12-08 at 07:14, Lubos Lunak wrote:
> > something broken then? What's the difference between
> > - WM gives the app possibly wrong data, after map the app checks and
> > adjusts or lives with that
> > - app itself chooses some possibly wrong data (guesses, remembers old
> > right values, whatever), after map the app checks and adjusts or lives
> > with that
>
> The WM-provided data will be right 95% of the time, especially for
> regular windows/dialogs. And a WM could in theory provide 100% correct
> info, if the WM author felt it was worthwhile or the WM was a relatively
> simple one.
>
> The app's guess can be wildly wrong - think of a large font titlebar for
> example, the app could guess half the real height.

 Oh well. I guess I can live with it after all. But I'd prefer if the wording
more stressed the fact that the result will be just an estimate (because it's
an evil hack).

KDE developer
SuSE CR, s.r.o.  e-mail: l lunak suse cz , l lunak kde org
Drahobejlova 27  tel: +420 2 9654 2373
190 00 Praha 9   fax: +420 2 9654 2374
Czech Republic   http://www.suse.cz/