Re: incorrect interpretation of window types toolbar and menu

On Fri, Aug 29, 2003 at 04:02:26PM +0200, Lubos Lunak wrote:
> (CC-ing one of OpenBox developers because I'm not sure if any of them is
> subscribed here, sorry if you are).
>
>  Hello,
>
>  (Intro: I tried to create a patch for Qt to make sure it always sets correct
> window type, because I even intend to use it in KWin, and guess what - I
> actually broke Qt by the patch. At least with some window managers. That's
> why one OpenBox developer is in CC. And one FVWM developer would be there
> too, but I remember seeing some of them here, so I hope this isn't needed).
>
>  Get some application that sets window type for torn-off toolbars and menus
> (or just create a testapp, e.g. metacity-window-demo would do, but with real
> app it will be more obvious).
>
>  Menus first - they're almost useless with OpenBox or FVWM (only recent
> versions of FVWM). They are on all desktops, they are borderless, and one
> cannot move them.

We have changed (FVWM developers) this behavior a few days ago:
fvwm-2.5.8 interprets _NET_WM_WINDOW_TYPE_MENU as "tear-off menu".

> [SNIP]
>
>  Toolbars second - that's not as bad. If you actually manage to find something
> that has tear-off toolbars and sets the window type on them, you'll get no,
> one or two decorations depending on what you use. Could we please agree how
> to decorate them? I think I already asked about this here once, but I can't
> find it in the archives :(. I also don't remember what conclusion there was,
> if any.

My problem here is that, for instance, kpager in KDE 3.0 used
_NET_WM_WINDOW_TYPE_TOOLBAR.

Regards, Olivier