Re: Desktop applet windows

Am Son, 2003-08-31 um 00.13 schrieb Havoc Pennington:
> On Sat, Aug 30, 2003 at 01:02:07PM -0700, Rob Adams wrote:
> > I think that there is a need for a new window type in the EWMH for
> > desktop applet-style windows that should behave as though "embedded" in
> > the desktop window.  This would probably mean a window layer below that
> > for STATE_BELOW windows but above that for TYPE_DESKTOP windows, and
> > would provide other useful semantics such as ignoring the window for
> > window placement purposes, not putting the window into Alt-tab list, not
> > decorating the window, etc.
> >
> > I would propose _NET_WM_WINDOW_TYPE_EMBEDDED or perhaps
> > _NET_WM_WINDOW_TYPE_DESKLET.
> >
> > Comments?  Note to desktop-devel subscribers; please reply only to
> > wm-spec-list.
> >

> My feeling is that desklets should actually be embedded in the desktop
> window (i.e. work like applets). The standalone window thing is pretty
> much just a hack. The desklets need to be coordinated with other icons
> and things on the desktop, so need to be managed by the desktop
> window.

Exactly what I intended to answer. Whats wrong with simply making the
applets embedded (ie subwindows of the TYPE_DESKTOP window) ?
Reparenting is easy enough and doesn't even need the applets to do
anything special except following some protocol to get the owner of the
TYPE_DESKTOP window to reparent them.

Matthias