Re: Support for applications using different video resolutions

> On Mon, Aug 04, 2003 at 10:57:35AM +0200, Matthias Clasen wrote:
> > This looks very XFree86-specific and hardware-oriented.  I don't think
> it
> > fits with the rest of the EWMH.
>
> It is XFree specific only if other X implementations do not provide for
> you to set the modeline, and then there isn't much you can do..
>
> It is hardware oriented only in that it lets you set the modeline, which
> is
> what applications need if they are to control not only the screen size,
> but
> also the other aspects of the display such as the refresh rate. That
> applications can control them is very important.

But maybe it should be defined in a somewhat more abstract terms than
directly in terms
of the XFree86-specific vidmode extension terminology. Ie offer to change
the refresh rate,
not some cryptic NVSCAN or DBLSCAN parameters which (at least I) don't
understand at all.

> > I think it should
> > a) be done as a separate spec
>
> Perhaps, but it is for window manager - client interaction, which is what
> EWMH is all about.

It is, but it has a scope, which is explained in the introduction. Certain
aspects of wm-client
interaction are explicitly declared as out of scope for the EWMH. The
question I have is whether
this vidmode changing is too specific for the EWMH, since only very few
clients need it.

> > c) explain the interaction with RandR
>
> I don't think there should be any interaction with RandR. RandR is meant
> for
> long-term changes to your desktop geometry, not for zooming to a new
> vidmod
> e.
> With RandR, your desktop is actually resized. Your panels should not be
> resized, and apps moved around, etc, every time you change resolutions to
> watch a movie.

If there is no interaction, than this should be explained. The paragraph you
just wrote may be
a good start for this explanation.

Matthias