Re: No focus on map hint

Hi,

I just found your old mail (and "I'm going to commit now" reminder)
tickmarked in one of my mail folders - doh. ;-) If you didn't commit
already I think it looks OK. Some small comments below.

On Fri, Mar 28, 2003 at 07:19:48PM +0100, Lubos Lunak wrote:
>  Ok, I thought about this a bit more, and I think it should be done just like
> the start-on-desktop feature of startup notification. There will be
> _NET_WM_MAP_TIMESTAMP just like there is _NET_WM_DESKTOP. Startup
> notification will have TIMESTAMP just like it has DESKTOP. If the app will
> want to use a timestamp, it will set the property before mapping the window.
> If the timestamp will come from starting up the application, it will be part
> of the startup notification info. There will be no environment variable for
> setting the timestamp. The window manager will prefer the timestamp property
> over the startup notification info. Applications will remember latest
> timestamp from KeyPress/KeyRelease/MousePress/MouseRelease events, and set it
> on newly mapped windows (they'll set it only after first such
> event).

This sounds sane to me.

> +       <para>
> +Clients should keep the last timestamp from events KeyPress, KeyRelease,
> +ButtonPress and ButtonRelease and set this timestamp in this property on
> +every new toplevel window before mapping it. They should start setting the
> +property only after first receiving a KeyPress, KeyRelease, ButtonPress or
> +ButtonRelease event, they shouldn't set it before receiving first input
> +event.
> +       </para>
> +    </sect2>

I think it would be OK to use timestamps from non-input events, as
well, if that was the most recent timestamp available.

> +  TIMESTAMP
> +
> +          X server timestamp of the user action that caused this
> +         launch. For example window manager that doesn't allow
> +         stealing of focus by newly mapped windows while the user
> +         works in an application can use this timestamp for windows
> +         that have matching _NET_STARTUP_ID property if they don't
> +         have any _NET_WM_MAP_TIMESTAMP property set.

Yup.

> > > I've been meaning to, it's just never been moved to the web site.
> > > It's in CVS under startup-notification/doc/
>
>  So you don't mind if I add it to the web site ? :)

Absolutely no objections. ;-) Just be sure we know which copy is the
master copy - I might suggest cvs rm'ing it from
libstartup-notification in fact and putting the master copy in
web/contents/standards similar to how we have the master copy of the
menu spec in there.