Re: one draft comment

>  Actually, thinking of this, we can probably completely drop
> _NET_WM_HANDLED_ICONS. If a window has _NET_WM_ICON_GEOMETRY, it's obvious
>
> that there is a taskbar somewhere - and _NET_WM_HANDLED_ICONS doesn't
> provide
> anything more. Maybe it could be made a selection allowing its owner to
> set
> _NET_WM_ICON_GEOMETRY though.

_NET_WM_ICON_GEOMETRY is not suitable for this purpose as it is a) optional,

b) possibly a leftover from a crashed pager.  It also has obvious problems
in the presence
of multiple pagers/tasklists.

I think a _NET_ICON_MANAGER selection is the way to go. I would propose to
drop _NET_WM_HANDLED_ICONS, demand that pagers must own the _NET_ICON_MANAGER
selection before setting _NET_WM_ICON_GEOMETRY and advise Window Managers to
not display icons if the _NET_ICON_MANAGER selection is owned.

Matthias

http://www.gmx.net