Re: _NET_DESKTOP_GEOMETRY, _NET_WM_HANDLED_ICONS and WM_CLIENT_MACHINE question

Hi,

Lubos Lunak <l lunak suse cz> writes:

>  _NET_DESKTOP_GEOMETRY - I'm not completely sure, does this mean the size of
> the "whole" desktop when using viewports (and when not using, equal to the
> screen size) ? I find 'common size of all desktops' somewhat unclear.

I think your interpretation is right, based on section 2.3.

> _NET_WM_HANDLED_ICONS - it's an application window property. Does it mean the
> taskbar should set it on all toplevel windows?

Maybe if any window has _NET_WM_HANDLED_ICONS, then the WM is supposed
to assume that icons are handled?

Since metacity doesn't have icons (same for kwin right) I haven't had
to figure this out ;-)

>  Section 7.9 says 'WM_CLIENT_MACHINE must be set to the fully-qualified domain
> name of the client's host.' . Correct me if I'm wrong, but fully-qualified
> domain name is 'host.domain.com' and not just 'host'. However, the code
> snippet in the section (both variants of it) returns just 'host' .

I'm not sure about this.

>  There's actually one more thing I don't find very clear, the one about moving
> toolbars ( see
> http://mail.gnome.org/archives/wm-spec-list/2002-June/msg00017.html ), but I
> guess I'll first have to try if I can make it to leave all toolbar moving up
> to the WM, so that can wait.

Not sure about this either - maybe see what you have to add/clarify in
implementing it, and we'll revise the spec accordingly...