Re: Proposal to extend Application Window Properties

On Tue, Oct 22, 2002 at 12:48:31AM -0400, Havoc Pennington wrote:

> You misunderstand the purpose of that hint - it's not used by the
> application. The app conveys its resizability using the geometry hints
> (set max/min size).
>
> the ALLOWED_ACTIONS hint is used by the WM to convey the actions
> allowed in a _particular context_ to pager, tasklist, etc.
> So for example, if maximized windows can't be resized in a particular
> WM (in some they can, others they can't), the WM would use the
> ALLOWED_ACTIONS hint to tell the pager/tasklist to make the Resize
> menu item insensitive.
>
> There's no point in setting ALLOWED_ACTIONS from your app, any
> compliant WM will instantly overwrite whatever you set.

Understood.

> This should be clarified in the spec if it isn't.

I missed the part that indicated that Window Managers are free to clear
this list when they initially manage a window. This would have tipped me
off that it makes very little sense to modify these values from your
application.

Thanks,
Andy