Re: Last call for EWMH 1.2

> Enclosed is my patch for spelling mistakes, grammar and the like.  Note
> removed a few British English spellings.  Not because I am pro-American
> English but simply because the text was not consistent and was more
American
> than British in content.

Thanks, I'll look into it.

> WM vs. Window Manager v. window manager.  Pick one, pick two but do we
really
> need all three?

I think we should use "Window Manager" when we refer to a wm implementing
EWMH, and "window manager" when we refer to any wm (mainly in the
introduction, I guess).

> net_wm_state's ADD, REMOVE, and TOGGLE are given atom names even though
they
> are meant to be #defines/constants.  I got this wrong the first time I
> implemented the atom in Blackbox.

We don't have a separate namespace for constants. Its similar for the
_NET_WM_MOVERESIZE constants.

> the two visible name properties.  If a client only sets WM_NAME is the
window
> manager supposed to set net_wm_visible_name?  I presume the same answer
> applies to icon_name.

Yes, this is only ever set by the wm, never by the client (who doesn't
even know whats visible, thats the point).
"If the Window Manager displays a window name other than _NET_WM_NAME the
Window Manager MUST set this to the title displayed in UTF-8 encoding."

> if a window is minimized am I supposed to change net_wm_allowed_actions?
> Or does this fall under "ignore requests for unmapped windows".

Yes.
"The window manager MUST keep this property updated to reflect the actions
which are currently "active" or "sensitive" for a window."

Matthias