Re: desktop layout patch

> > I think this is a good idea. The page should advertise either
> >
> > horizontal orientation + number of columns
> >
> > or
> >
> > vertical orientation + number or rows
>
> Shouldn't that be horiz. orient. + #rows // vert. orient. + #cols ?
>
> Even so, that doesn't make it any easier IMO. E.g. you can have:
> 1 2 3 4
> 5 6 7 8
> or
> 1 3 5 7
> 2 4 6 8

What I wanted to describe is the ability to specify the following layouts:

1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8
9 ...

This would be horizontal layout with 4 columns

1 3 5 7 9
2 4 6 8 ...

This would be vertical layout with 2 rows

This is not as general as the original proposal, since it doesn't cover
vertical layouts with a fixed number of rows or horizontal layouts with a
fixed number of columns, but these are kind of pathological anyway, since
changing the number of desktops may lead to a complete reorganization of
the layout there, e.g. for vertical layout, 3 rows, going from 6 to 7
desktops amounts to

before:
1 3 5
2 4 6