Re: desktop layout patch

Havoc Pennington wrote:

I like this, but...

+  workspaces are assumed to be nonexistent. Either X or Y (but not
+  both) may be specified as 0 in which case its actual value will be
+  derived from <literal>_NET_NUMBER_OF_DESKTOPS</literal>.

... what is this special case for? Can we just keep the spec clean, and say that both X and Y MUST have non-zero values?

I wrote a sawfish extension using this protocol for select-workspace-up/down/right/left commands, and found this special case annoying. It basically just adds another set of if statements to a section of code that's contorted already, and I don't see the point.

This was a part of Waldo's original proposal. Does anyone know the motivation? If not, can we strike it out?