Re: Window Manager Protocols additions ?

On Tue, Dec 17, 2002 at 12:26:57AM +0000, Matthew Allum wrote:

> What are peoples thoughts on extending WM_PROTOCOLS to indicate a
> window can receive a '_NET_WM_CONTEXT_HELP', or a
> '_NET_WM_CONTEXT_ACCEPT' client message. The workings are similar
> to that of WM_DELETE.
>
> The 'help' message usefulness I would hope should be fairly obvious
> ( and I believe KDE already uses something like this. ).

I think we discussed that before, here's what google turns up:

http://mail.gnome.org/archives/wm-spec-list/1999-December/msg00006.html

I don't think Windows XP has the help button feature, I don't remember
it anyway. Maybe only in the "classic" theme.

> The obvious use for an 'accept' message would be dialogs in limited
> screen real estate ( such as a PDA ). It would thus allow the 'OK'
> button to exist in the dialogs title bar.

I think that's come up before too, it seems reasonable to me, I don't
remember what was said last time it came up.

Maybe some more generic mechanism should be used, like ability to add
arbitrary button labels to titlebar? Of course I think that'd be hard
for most WMs to implement, so it'd be a sort of dedicated-PDA-wm-only
kind of feature.