Re: frame size hints

On Mon, Dec 02, 2002 at 11:17:59AM -0500, Havoc Pennington wrote:
> On Mon, Dec 02, 2002 at 09:56:45AM -0600, Sasha Vasko wrote:
> > Ok,  so the problem is saving and restoring position of the window.
> > It really is challenging and is affecting a broad range of apps even if
> > they don't use AWT.
>
> I'm not sure save/restore is the whole problem. For example I remember
> at least older versions of Sun's NetBeans IDE would open a lot of
> initial windows in a tiled configuration. So there the AWT API was
> used to snap window edges together. (Lining up windows that way even
> seems halfway legitimate to me, especially if it discourages MDI
> hell. It's true that window managers don't do an ideal job with
> millions-of-windows apps like GIMP and Glade.)

Hm, clustering windows does not work well with existing window
managers because there is no defined interface for it.  That
sounds like a valid use of "window groups".  Something like
"try to place all these windows in a rectangular area that is as
small as possible".  That rectangular area would then be treated
and placed as an invisible window.

Bye

Dominik ^_^  ^_^