Re: frame size hints

On Mon, Dec 02, 2002 at 09:56:45AM -0600, Sasha Vasko wrote:
> Ok,  so the problem is saving and restoring position of the window.
> It really is challenging and is affecting a broad range of apps even if
> they don't use AWT.

I'm not sure save/restore is the whole problem. For example I remember
at least older versions of Sun's NetBeans IDE would open a lot of
initial windows in a tiled configuration. So there the AWT API was
used to snap window edges together. (Lining up windows that way even
seems halfway legitimate to me, especially if it discourages MDI
hell. It's true that window managers don't do an ideal job with
millions-of-windows apps like GIMP and Glade.)

Regarding save/restore remember I started that long thread about it
before:
  http://mail.gnome.org/archives/wm-spec-list/2002-May/msg00030.html

Unfortunately there was not a lot of consensus in that thread.