Re: Pending 1.2 stuff

On Fri, Aug 23, 2002 at 09:43:27AM +0200, Lubos Lunak wrote:

> > >  That "clever stacking order" probably doesn't make sense for anything
> > > else
> > > than that layer I called '"normal" windows'. Why should a WM try to do
> > > anything smart with stacking docks?
> >
> > Its not that simple. "Stacking order" is a relation between all windows.
> > Things I have
> > in mind are stacking order policies which go beyond any fixed layering,
> > e.g. use
> > a layering for initial insertion of windows in the stack, but do not
> > restrict the users
> > ability to raise normal windows to the top of the stack, then have them
> > jump back to
> > their layer when the focus moves elsewhere...
>
>  This is all the "normal" windows. I don't mind if the WM puts such windows
> upside down or whatever.
>  Or if you care that much about not exactly specifying the layers, we can
> simply only suggest it. We do that already anyway (DESKTOP down below,
> "normal" windows, DOCK above).
>  Your definition of FLOATING is at least insufficient from the user's point of
> view - if I say I want the window to be on top, I want it to be above the
> docks too (and now we can start discussing if it makes sense to have windows
> above active fullscreen window ;)  ). And I also fail to see where I'd need
> to keep one window only above other windows of the same type, but necessarily
> above windows of other types. Thinking of it, FLOATING probably makes sense
> only for normal windows and dialogs.

Imo, you should not ever be putting windows above the active fullscreen
window. Fullscreen windows tend to come along with a grabbed keyboard
and mouse, which means that the user is going to be unable to raise
his fullscreen window back to the top without exiting and rerunning it.

<snip>

Ben
--
I am damn unsatisfied to be killed in this way.