Re: Pending 1.2 stuff

On Wednesday 21 August 2002 17:05, Havoc Pennington wrote:
> Lubos Lunak <l lunak sh cvut cz> writes:
> >  Actually, KDE uses STAYS_ON_TOP even for things like the panel (it's
> > possible to configure the panel not to be above normal windows).
>
> Hmm, that's not really right though, because the STAYS_ON_TOP there
> does not convey any information not already conveyed by the semantic
> type of the panel. (If you wanted a "keep panels on top or not"
> option, then that should be in the window manager, in my opinion.)

 In KDE it's a property of the panel (I fail to see why anybody would want the
panels not to be on the top, if if they do, they may want it only for some of
them). Right now the on_top/not_on_top panels are TYPE_DOCK+STAYS_ON_TOP vs
TYPE_DOCK, but I wouldn't mind having them as TYPE_DOCK vs
TYPE_DOCK+STAYS_BELOW (which is more logical) or whatever.

> > We also use it for few dialogs, like the minicli or the 'do you
> > accept the cookie' dialog (this specific one maybe shouldn't
> > actually use it).
>
> Right. One question is, if a panel is "on top", how do we convey that
> a dialog such as the "run command" dialog should be above the panel.
>
> >  Maybe we should simply in the spec explicitly state the layering
> > order.
>
> I think the spirit of the spec is to keep things semantic, if
> possible.
>
> > Right
> > now, KDE has windows stacked this way, from the bottom:
> > - TYPE_DESKTOP
> > - "normal windows"
> > - STAYS_ON_TOP windows
> > - fullscreen window if it has the focus
> >  Transient windows are (or at least should be) placed above the windows
> > they're transient to.
> >
> >  For example, we could make the layering order this way (from bottom):
> > - TYPE_DESKTOP
> > - STATE_STAYS_BELOW?
> > - "normal" windows (i.e. not elsewhere)
> > - TYPE_SPLASH, (TYPE_MENU?), TYPE_DOCK(only if we have also STAYS_BELOW)
> > - STATE_STAYS_ON_TOP
> > - TYPE_FULLSCREEN, if focused (otherwise as "normal")
> >  And transient windows will be kept above their windows (this will take
> > care of toolbars, etc.).
>
> Here is what I have in metacity so far, and then there is a
> "transients stay above their parents" rule as well:
>
> typedef enum
> {
>   META_LAYER_DESKTOP    = 0,
>   META_LAYER_BOTTOM     = 1,
>   META_LAYER_NORMAL     = 2,
>   META_LAYER_TOP        = 3,
>   META_LAYER_DOCK       = 4,
>   META_LAYER_FULLSCREEN = 5,
>   META_LAYER_SPLASH     = 6,
>   META_LAYER_LAST       = 7
> } MetaStackLayer;

 Well this is almost the same as I wrote above. I'd just move TOP above DOCK,
as that's what users would probably expect.

developer
SuSE CR, s.r.o.  e-mail: llunak suse cz , l lunak kde org
Drahobejlova 27  tel: +420 2 9654 2373
190 00 Praha 9   fax: +420 2 9654 2374
Czech Republic   http://www.suse.cz/