Re: launch notification

Dne pá 26. říjen 2001 08:34 jste napsal(a):
> Hi Havoc, here is a number of questions which popped up in my mind after
> reading this proposal:

 Let's me answer for KDE's ASN.

> 1) Are launchers allowed/expected to reuse launch sequence windows ?

 There are no launch sequence windows in ASN.

> 2) How are WMs supposed to keep app windows on the desktop which was
> current when the
>     launch sequence was initiated ? I guess you intend the launchee to put
> a _NET_LAUNCH_ID
>     property on the windows it maps before finishing the launch sequence ?

 ASN: Yes, that's how it's done in KDE. And I guess there's no other simple
way how to do it. Also, it shouldn't be 'keep app windows on the desktop',
but 'map them on the desktop' (and KWin does it only if the window doesn't
have _NET_WM_DESKTOP set).

> 3) Do launchers have to be aware of the presence/absence of a launch
> manager ? I guess the
>     answer is: yes, if they are launching legacy apps, since for these the
> lm is responsible for finishing
>     the launch sequence. For supporting launchees, all that is added by the
> lm is  reliability (in case
>     of stuck launchees) and exclusive launch feedback. But nonexclusive
> launch feedback (by launch
>     monitors such as taskbars) would work fine without the lm, right ?

 ASN: No. It works as fine with no launch indicator app as with five of them,
and I'm not aware of any possible resource leak.

 l lunak email cz ; l lunak kde org
 http://dforce.sh.cvut.cz/~seli