Re: UTILITY, SPLASH, FULLSCREEN

Hi,

does _KDE_NET_WM_WINDOW_TYPE_OVERRIDE allow for transient windows to be
in front of the window ? A presentation window needs this occasionally,
since a presentation may open dialogues (e.g. in OpenOffice.org).

Regards, pl

Am 18.10.01, 11:13:51, schrieb Lubos Lunak <l lunak sh cvut cz> zum Thema
Re: UTILITY, SPLASH, FULLSCREEN:

> Dne st 17. říjen 2001 20:54 jste napsal(a):
> > Hi,
> >
> > I'm going ahead and adding these to the CVS draft version of the WM
> > spec, since no one seemed to object. The patch is appended. Objections
> > are still welcome, if anyone has better ways of approaching these.
> >
> [snip]

>  Is it really necessary to have something so special like flags for
> splashscreens and fulscreen windows? I mean, what makes these two so
special
> that they deserve their own flags? Splashscreen is just a window without
> decorations centered on the desktop above all other windows, and
fullscreen
> is a window without decorations large as the desktop above all other
windows.

>  I don't know why neither Matthias Ettrich nor Bradley T. Hughes said
> anything, they are probably busy with Qt3.0 final. KDE already has NET_WM
> extensions that allow both splashscreens and fullscreen windows using
more
> generic flags (which is IMHO a better solution). The two flags are
> NET_WM_STATE_STAYS_ON_TOP (it's not even marked as KDE extension in the
docs,
> but I can't find it in the wm-spec) and _KDE_NET_WM_WINDOW_TYPE_OVERRIDE.
The
> first one is obvious, and some users set this flags e.g. on ICQ window.
The