Re: UTILITY, SPLASH, FULLSCREEN

Dne st 17. říjen 2001 20:54 jste napsal(a):
> Hi,
>
> I'm going ahead and adding these to the CVS draft version of the WM
> spec, since no one seemed to object. The patch is appended. Objections
> are still welcome, if anyone has better ways of approaching these.

[snip]

 Is it really necessary to have something so special like flags for
splashscreens and fulscreen windows? I mean, what makes these two so special
that they deserve their own flags? Splashscreen is just a window without
decorations centered on the desktop above all other windows, and fullscreen
is a window without decorations large as the desktop above all other windows.

 I don't know why neither Matthias Ettrich nor Bradley T. Hughes said
anything, they are probably busy with Qt3.0 final. KDE already has NET_WM
extensions that allow both splashscreens and fullscreen windows using more
generic flags (which is IMHO a better solution). The two flags are
NET_WM_STATE_STAYS_ON_TOP (it's not even marked as KDE extension in the docs,
but I can't find it in the wm-spec) and _KDE_NET_WM_WINDOW_TYPE_OVERRIDE. The
first one is obvious, and some users set this flags e.g. on ICQ window. The
override flag is almost like using override_redirect, i.e. no decorations,
but it has the benefit of e.g. staying only on the given desktop.

 Splashscreen is then an override window with staysontop, with geometry set
by the app (centered and some sane size). Fullscreen windows are override
windows with size set to desktop size.

 WRT being able to put other windows above a fullscreen one, it would be
nice, but I see a little problem here : The fullscreen window should be above
dock type windows (panel), and dock type windows should be above normal
windows, so normal windows apparently can't go above the fullscreen window.
Right now KDE/Qt makes fullscreen windows also staysontop.

 l lunak email cz ; l lunak kde org
 http://dforce.sh.cvut.cz/~seli