Re: Gnome wm detection question.

On 15 Oct 2001, Havoc Pennington wrote:

> Hi,
>
> You really don't want to use the legacy GNOME hints; use the new EWMH
> spec at http://www.freedesktop.org. This won't work with the current
> GNOME tasklist/pager, but GNOME 2 will have a compliant
> tasklist/pager. I have a library in GNOME CVS ("libwnck") that
> implements the new spec and works with kwin/metacity/sawfish that I've
> tested.
>
> > _WIN_SUPPORTING_WM_CHECK(CARDINAL) = 14680075
>
> Metacity seems to use type WINDOW not CARDINAL for this, I don't know
> if that's right or not, I don't remember why I did it that way.

	The spec at gnome.org says CARDINAL. IceWM <g> has CARDINAL. Yes.
Looks pointless, but that's how it's "specified".

	The spec is at http://developer.gnome.org/doc/standards/wm/book1.html.
But as Havoc statet already: With GNOME2 this spec will be obsolete.

Ciao,
Mathias
--
WWW:           http://www.informatik.hu-berlin.de/~hasselma/
PGP/GnuPG:     1024-Bit DSA: ID 55E572F3, 1024-Bit RSA: ID EAAF7CF1