Re: "full screen" windows

On Thu, 16 Aug 2001, Philipp Lohmann wrote:

> Am 16.08.01, 19:55:41, schrieb Havoc Pennington <hp redhat com> zum Thema
> Re: "full screen" windows:
>
> > True, a WM could potentially handle the full-screen window more
> > nicely than override redirect allows.
>
> > Are there use-cases other than a presentation program or say a
> > full-screen print preview? Should we then call this semantic type
> > PRESENTATION?
>
> > I bet this is useful for e.g. games as well, so maybe simply
> > FULLSCREEN is the name of the hint.
>
> Sounds good to me.

The application I'm working on displays video in a normal window.
When the user so wishes he should be able to make the window fullscreen.

In the fullscreen mode he can bring up a menu or a control/preferences
window on top of the fullscreen window. (If he's running a panel
 it should be possible to configure the wm to put the panel
(temporarily) on top if the user so wishes)

When deciding to go back from fullscreen to normal window_type/_state
the window should still be in the same position as before fullscreen
as if the window had been maximized.

It should be possible to have a maximized window and go to fullscreen
and back to the maximized window and further back to the unmaximized
state.

At the moment I use motif hints to get rid of the decorations
(doesn't work on all wms) and I have to do  unmap ; set motif hint ;map
to change them when switching betwen fullscreen<->normal.
The application must keep track of where the normal
window should be positioned, but I can't reposition it on same
place as before fullscreen because the wm (can/will) override that.

In v1.1 of EWMH spec the part about _NET_WINDOW_TYPE says:
"This SHOULD be set by the Client before mapping"
      ^^^^^^
How is this to be interpreted?
1. The property must be set before mapping if it is to be set
or
2. The property should be set before mapping but can be set after too.

My guess is that it must be set before mapping and  makes it
impossible to change window_type without doing a unmap/map ?

_NET_WM_STATE
 This property can be changed when the window is mapped.
 Is this where there should be a FULLSCREEN_STATE ?

/Björn