Re: Initial window placement

On Tue, Aug 14, 2001 at 09:56:21 -0500, Sasha_Vasko osca state mo us wrote:

> Well, I thought that one should lookup list archives prior to posting
> something like that. This all has been discussed about a year ago.

<rant>
*What* list archives?!
There are two texts: ICCCM and wm-spec.  List archives are immaterial.
</rant>

> Still, since that question is of utter importance I'll take the trouble
> and explain it all over again.

Don't explain it on the list over and over again, put it into the
text.

> Just as a side note I'd like to mention that after reviewing this specs
> David Rosenthal had specifically noted that this particular item has
> been explained correctly and clarifies foggy ICCCM description rather
> nicely.

As I said, I don't have problems with the wm-spec text *semantic*.

> 1. It provides vague description on where the reference point
> should be placed, instead of plainly providing formulas of
> how it should be calculated based on exact values of window
> size, position and border width.

Sure, and wm-spec corrects this quite nicely.

> 2. The whole fact that you interpret last part of 4.1.2.3
> as if it was talking about two different reference points

Gosh, I *don't*!

Once again, the *language* of ICCCM refers to frame/window refpoints.
wm-spec rewords this passage but explicitely says to refer to ICCCM
for definitive specifications, but wm-spec then fails to provide the
link between its language and ICCCM language.  This is my real
complaint that I've been trying to communicate (and failed at that, it
seems, mea culpa).

> To do that we simply unfold explanation of gravity from ICCCM into
> exact formulas for each case.

*Say* that!  Say that in wm-spec text!

> If you still think that WM-Specs wording is fuzzy - then go ahead
> and propose clerarer interpretation.

This email of yours is just fine, just insert it (or relevant exerpts)
before the first paragraph of the corresponding wm-spec section.

SY, Uwe
--
uwe ptc spbu ru                         |       Zu Grunde kommen