Re: Initial window placement

> >I'm not sure you understand what this is all about.
> >To Test for that you'll need to start somthing with SouthEast gravity,
> >for example :
> >
> >rxvt -g -10-10
> >
> >and see if the frame decoration's lower right outer edge stays at -10-10
> >when
> >window comes up and wm decorates it. If it does then everything is good.
> >

> Actually i tried with NorthWest gravity and upper left coordinates. And
on
> most window managers the position and size is respected, just on kwin i
found
> that the height of the frame when first mapped is not what i put into the
size
> hints but has the decoration height added.
>
> Why do you suggest one would only get exact positioning with SouthEast
gravity
> ?

well, it has been disscused many times. Basically each window has two
rectangles -
outeer rectangle of the frame decorations and inner rectangle of the
actuall
client window. Now Window Manager needs to know in how to correlate it with
the geometry requested. Which is done by utilizing pair of gravity and
reference point.

With NorthWest gravity reference point is placed at ( x, y ) where x and y
are
coordinates of the leftupper corner of the window when it is initially
mapped.
With SouthEast gravity it is : ( x+width, y+height ) , where width and
height are
the size of the window when it is initially mapped. AS you see the
initial size has only effect on reference point when South or East or
Central
gravity is used.

Now that does not impose any restrictions on the size of the frame
decorations -
window Manager is free to decorate it as much as it wants. But those
decorations
has to be ADDED to the size of the client window, so that client window
does not change its size.

The only thing that is restricted is where the frame decoration has to be
placed - if gravity is NorthWest, then topleft corner of the frame will be
in
reference point. If it is SouthEast - then lower-right corner of the FRAME
will be at reference point (x+width, y+height). That basically means that
client window will be slightly moved as compared to its initial placement,
and that is fine.

So from what you are saying I gather that kwin is the only compliant window
manager, while others are still lagging behind.

> Regards, Philipp

Cheers
Sasha Vasko