Re: Multi-Head support in specs (was: Multi-head support)

Althou original question was not addressed to the right place when it came
here,
but This does raises interesting question  - how does spec compliant Window
Manager/ client should go about the fact that there could be several
screens/
root windows present on the server ?

Two things come in mind that are screen specific - root window properties
and desktop numeration.

The first one seems to be simple - we should set up entire set of root
properties for each root window individually, thus making it transparent
for
any client querying those.

Second one is a little tricky. The simpliest solution would be to use
independent desktop numbering on each screen. like for example  screen 0
has
desktops 0...4 and screen 1 has desktops 0..2, and desktop 0 on screen 0
has
different clients then desktop 0 on screen 1. It is all nice and simple,
but
I can see how that can be confusing for the user.

In relation to that it is interesting to know how does GNOME/KDE address
this issue?

> Hi, I'm trying to get a second monitor working with my linux box.  I am
> the point where it comes up and my mouse is able to move over into it.
> Now I need to get applications and tool bars onto display 0.1 instead of
> display 0.0.  The attatched xdisplay.txt file show the input event mask
> options for both displays.  I need to find out how to change this and if
> there is an option I need to tell gnome about in order to get it to allow
> me to drag items on to it, and use it as a small extension of my desktop.
> For good measure I have placed stdout from X at
> http://dalaena.linuxhost.cc/~shaun/startx.log.multihead .  I'm really not
> sure if this is the right forum to search for this, but it seems that the
> desktop environment is the place to look for management of multiple
> screens and their desktops.
>
> With how many lists I am sending this to I hope that it happens upon
> someone who can give me some help.  If there is nothing in gnome that
does
> what I am looking for then perhaps that would make a nice project for me
> to work on.
>
> thanks for any help
>
> Shaun Kruger
> shaun linuxhost cc