Re: WM-SPEC - what needs to happen for release ?

On Thu, 21 Sep 2000 Sasha_Vasko osca state mo us wrote:

> similar

> now is
> >>
> >> Definitely -- is there any possibility that you will change your
> >> implementation to match the current state of the spec?
> >
> >Well... a binary incompatible change to KDE2 just before a release would
> >upset quite a few people.  A very good, convincing argument over why a
> >list of atoms is more desirable than an enumerated value would have to be
> >presented.  The argument that the list can be extended in the future also
>
> Isn't that what betas are for - to iron out bugs and deficiences ?
> It would only take a few lines of code to convert from flagset/enum into
> the list of atoms and back, thus effectively hiding the change from any
> app that is using API.

A few lines of code in the classes I wrote, correct.  But the large amount
of code in KDE would then have to be recompiled and fixed for each
application/library that broke

> Lot more people will get upset for lot longer time, if the change is not
> made and KDE goes out with incompatible implementation of specs.

I guess it's good that this issue was raised (for the second time) before
KDE2 was released.  As I stated before, nothing came of the discussions
before, so I didn't change my code.  I am going to look at the current
changes the next couple of days and check on what will/will not break with
the change

--
Bradley T. Hughes <bhughes trolltech com>
Waldemar Thranes gt. 98B N-0175 Oslo, Norway