Re: Comments on 1.0pre3, part 2

Yes, this is the only part of my essay which I feel a bit unsure about.
I still think that it is more in the spirit of the ICCCM that shaded
windows are considered iconic, since the ICCCM states somewhere that
clients can expect their toplevel windows to be viewable in NormalMode.
Viewable here is a X technical term meaning that the window itself and
all ancestors are mapped. Admittedly, shading can be implemented without
unmapping the client window (as you said, just move it behind the titlebar),
but this still implies that the user cannot make the client window visible
without unshading the window.

You are not right in stating that the mappedness of the frame window would
be an obstacle to treating the window as iconic. The ICCCM forbids to unmap
the frame without unmapping the client window, but it says nothing about
unmapping the client window without unmapping the frame.

Anyway, just drop the paragraph in question. To be honest, I changed fvwm to
treat shaded as iconic about 18 months ago, but quickly reverted the change,
since others felt that it is more natural to treat shaded as normal.

Matthias