Re: applied patch

On Mon, Nov 20, 2000 at 12:02:59PM +0100, Bradley T.Hughes wrote:
> Why have things like Skip(Taskbar|Pager), but not StaysOnTop?  The argument
> against StaysOnTop has always been that it doesn't belong client side, and
> should be done through window manager configuration.  This is quite
> frustrating, I agree, but why include thinks like sticky and
> on-all-desktops if we don't include StaysOnTop (the next logical step).

Couldn't the spec state something like, "a compliant window manager will
provide a default configuration that obeys StaysOnTop (and sticky, skip,
etc.)."  However, the window manager may allow the user to override this (for
example, if the user wants the GNOME panel to appear in one workspace and the
KDE panel in another), provided that the window manager documentation (and any
graphical tools) make it clear that the the applicable option will break some
aspect of spec compatibility.  Would this be a reasonable compromise?

Nathan, responsable for some mostly-working patches to CTWM