Re: Quick thought - cheaper transparency

>first - under things like xfree 3.9/4.0 it weont help much since
>pixmaps get cached - thus doing an XCopArea of a pixmap to another to
>re-tile it at a new origina is almost effectively a null-op or most
>cards since the bliter is pretty damn fast. infact if you
>XFillRectangle the root pixmap into the window with the right offests
>it is no more work at all (on synthetic configure ntoify do a repaint
>with an XFillRectanlge of the pixmap id set as a property on the root
>window used as a pixmap fill with the fill origin set appropriately)

On my system there's a noticeable delay between moving a transparent terminal
and seeing its background updated - I guess this is because it only checks
that its background is up to date a few times a second? (As you say, you
wouldn't expect the actual drawing to take long at all.) I think that if a
ParentRelative background was used, there would not be a noticable delay
because the background would be updated automatically by the server. Might
look nicer, especially for opaque window moves.

Michael