Re: Removing wm/pager interaction

>Tim Janik writes:
>|i think john harper mentioned at some point that he was already
implementing
>|the spec for sawfish, so maybe he could speak up how he implemented
certain
>|details.
>
>most things fitted very easily, the only comments I had should be in
>the archives of this mailing list, re: delete/insert I wrote:
>
>>_NET_{INSERT,DELETE}_DESKTOP
>>
>>        format of these client messages is never specified, I assumed:

That is exactly the problem. Without specification everybody will implement
it differently. Somebody please add the description I proposed in my post
on
June,22 ?

>>        INSERT: format = 32, data[0] = workspace to insert before
>>
>>        DELETE: format = 32, data[0] = workspace to delete
>
>so (insert 1) means to insert a new desktop before desktop 1 (i.e.

>between the first and second desktops), shifting all desktops after
>the insertion point one place down

I don't see how you can easily do that - you'll have to renumber all the
desktops and update properties on all the client windows. This is
potentially
very costly operation, and since you don't change desktop names result will
be
the same as to add a desktop to the end of the list, only this latter
approach
will be much simplier, and much less confusing.

>I didn't make insertions or deletions alter the list of desktop names
>
>my implementation is here:
>
>http://tizer.dcs.warwick.ac.uk:8080/cgi-bin/cvsweb/sawmill/lisp/wm-spec.jl
>
>    John

Cheers