Re: Better Virtual Desktops

>On Wed, 21 Jun 2000 Sasha_Vasko@osca.state.mo.us wrote:
>

>> Ok, Here is an idea that may very well solve most or all of the virtual
>> desktopping problems
>> with variable desktops number :
>>
>> Add property :
>> <insert>
>> _NET_ACTIVE_DESKTOPS, CARDINAL[]
>>
>> This property MUST be set by WM to list numbers of all accessible
virtual desktops.
>> This Property must be updated whenever new desktop is added or removed.
>> </insert>
>>
>> all the other per-desktop properties will have the same length, and Ns
>> element of any of
<snip>

>One question regarding this proposal, what should window managers that
>do not support the removal of a desktop in the middle of the list?  Should
>they just not list desktop support at all?

That is one solution, yes. And it would have to destroy this property if it
was created prior to such wm startup.

>One of the changes that Matthias and I talked about was this very thing.
>He and I favor changing only the number of desktops (ie.  the pager sends
>a message to change the number from 4 to 6, or from 8 to 5)

Yep, that is much simplier approach and I suggested it too back in april,
but since I did not get any positive responce on it I assumed that this
scheme is not supported by anyone else - hence this attempt to get
what's in current specs into order.

Both approaches are fine with me.

Bradley T. Hughes <bhughes@trolltech.com>

Sasha Vasko