Re: Better Virtual Desktops

On Wed, 21 Jun 2000 Sasha_Vasko@osca.state.mo.us wrote:

> Ok, Here is an idea that may very well solve most or all of the virtual
> desktopping problems
> with variable desktops number :
>
> Add property :
> <insert>
> _NET_ACTIVE_DESKTOPS, CARDINAL[]
>
> This property MUST be set by WM to list numbers of all accessible virtual desktops.
> This Property must be updated whenever new desktop is added or removed.
> </insert>
>
> all the other per-desktop properties will have the same length, and Ns
> element of any of
> those properties, will cary information related to the desktop number
> stored in Ns element
> of _NET_ACTIVE_DESKTOPS property. This approach will allow for dynamic
> adding/removing
> of the desktops in any order, sequence and with any number, at the same
> time it will inform
> any Pager or other app, if there are any gaps in desk numbering, that can
> indicate that some desk was
> removed from the middle of the list. Pagers may provide users with some
> visible signs in such a case.

One question regarding this proposal, what should window managers that
do not support the removal of a desktop in the middle of the list?  Should
they just not list desktop support at all?

One of the changes that Matthias and I talked about was this very thing.
He and I favor changing only the number of desktops (ie.  the pager sends
a message to change the number from 4 to 6, or from 8 to 5)