Re: NET WM Spec implementation and changes

On Fri, Jun 16, 2000 at 10:52:00AM +0100, John Harper wrote:
> Sasha_Vasko@osca.state.mo.us writes:
> |The question is not about geometry - in which case you would be
> |correct and client should take care of it's own geometry, question is
> |about stacking order, and it is not client responcibility at all to
> |even approach this question, or even be aware about stacking order at
> |all.
>
> The ICCCM already covers this. In section 5.2:
>
>     The window manager should save and restore information such as the
>     WM_STATE, the layout of windows on the screen, and their stacking
>     order for every client window that has a valid SM_CLIENT_ID
>     property...

Hmm. My impression was that this portion of the ICCCM was
superceded by the X Session Management Protocol (first used
by CDE, I guess), which moved the responsiblity for session
management from the window manager to a (possible seperate)
session manager. The session manager notifies those clients
which connect to it when they should save their state, and
it is then the client's responsibility to save whatever
information they feel is appropriate. The window manager
therefore would no longer have a responsibility to record
any of the layout information (unless it wished to remain
backwards compatible with the older ICCCM session management.)

Or have I been misinformed?

Jeff Raven