Re: Removing wm/pager interaction

> |No, just a separate pager for each wm. I see no reason to use a
> |different  pager under Gnome than under KDE, if the pager is provided
> |by the wm. We just  need a simple protocol to allow the panel to
> |recognise and embed a wm-provided  pager.
>
> I can think of several reasons:
>
> (1) the widget set used by the pager should match that used by the
> thing swallowing it

It makes just as much sense for the tasklist buttons to match the window
decorations as it does for the tasklist buttons to match the other applets.

> (2) if the user changes window managers, it shouldn't affect the
> behaviour of the pager (since from their viewpoint, the pager is part
> of the desktop environment, not of the window manager)

I don't think that's necessarily true. My point of view is that the pager
manages windows, so it is part of the window manager. The basic jobs it does
(moving, selecting, resizing and closing windows) are all jobs done by the
window manager and not by any other part of the desktop environment.

> (3) if the pager is written to match the thing swallowing it, then it
> can integrate into this thing more cleanly, e.g. by adapting itself to
> the size / orientation, or other user preferences,

It can adapt itself to size/orientation by listening for ConfigureNotify
events on the swallowed window. I guess "other user preferences" means the DE
widget set's look and feel. If the pager matches either the WM's theme and
widget set or the DE's theme and widget set, I think that will be good enough.

Michael