Re: Removing wm/pager interaction

Michael Rogers writes:
|> There has to be a compromise somewhere, otherwise we'll end up with a
|> separate pager for each (wm, desktop) combination.
|
|No, just a separate pager for each wm. I see no reason to use a
|different  pager under Gnome than under KDE, if the pager is provided
|by the wm. We just  need a simple protocol to allow the panel to
|recognise and embed a wm-provided  pager.

I can think of several reasons:

(1) the widget set used by the pager should match that used by the
thing swallowing it

(2) if the user changes window managers, it shouldn't affect the
behaviour of the pager (since from their viewpoint, the pager is part
of the desktop environment, not of the window manager)

(3) if the pager is written to match the thing swallowing it, then it
can integrate into this thing more cleanly, e.g. by adapting itself to
the size / orientation, or other user preferences,

	John