Re: comments on current spec

On Wed, 26 Apr 2000, John Harper wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I was stuck at home this morning, so I thought I'd take a first pass at
> implementing the current state of the spec, for sawmill (or whatever
> it's called these days)

heh, i thought at least _you_ would know ;)

> I found a number of things that only became apparent to me once I'd
> started implementing it, so I thought I'd share them. If they were
> covered earlier, or I missed something, please tell me to shut up..

great, that's important feedback for producing a _usable_ spec ;)

> _NET_CLIENT_LIST[_STACKING]
>
> 	should this only include currently mapped windows?

definitiely not. as in the old spec, the window manager has to provide
pagers/tasklists with all windows it actually manages, independant of
their skip-from-task-list/hidden/unmapped states, otherwise they simply
can't keep track of windows temporarily switching states (i.e. the
tasklist would loose track of iconified windows).
as for the _NET_CLIENT_LIST_STACKING vs. _NET_CLIENT_LIST, the former
should really always contain the exact same list of windows as
the latter list, probably sorting currently unmapped windows into the
corresponding places they will apear in after an XMapWindow() call.
that way, pagers will know where exactly a window will appear when
getting mapped and are able to perform appropriate actions like raising
an umapped window before mapping it without extra server roundtrips.

> 	John

---
ciaoTJ