Re: Decorations (again)

Paul Warren wrote:

> On Sat, 6 Nov 1999, Matthias Ettrich wrote:

> The more I think about it, the more I beleive that we should dump the
> MOTIF hints.  Whilst to us, the idea of using MOTIF hints seems
Agred (we need sufficent power of setting decorations and hints for
modality)
> I think not.  We should definitely take this opportunity to get all WM
> related hints in one, consistent, place.

I agree. I suggest we also define a packing for other X hints (wm should
still use fallback properties if hints are not in _NET_HINTS):

WM_PROTOCOLS, WM_CLIENT_LEADER, WM_TRANSIENT_FOR, WM_HINTS,
WM_NORMAL_HINTS

> > Another topic are modal dialogs. Can't remember whether we discussed that. I
> > was wondering whether a hint MODAL_FOR (similar to transient_for) may be useful.
> > It would give the WM a hint which window to activate (there's no point in
> > activating a window that has a modal_for window open).
>
> Sounds reasonable.  Is this best implemented as a MODAL_FOR hint, or
> using the existing TRANSIENT_FOR mechanism, and simply setting a MODAL
> flag on the window?

Single flag (we need OWNER_MODAL, GROUP_MODAL and maybe DESKTOP_MODAL
flags, or perhaps a new subhint _NET_WIN_MODALITY (3 atoms above)).

This also implies a WM_TRANSIENT_FOR=Root/None extension. Most wms
already have handle the case of =Root gracefully it because of some
"broken" programs set it to various strange values (root, self, none,
...)

Mark
--
... GUI: WPS.