Re: Application modal transients windows

On Fri, 5 Nov 1999 raster@rasterman.com wrote:
> On  5 Nov, Paul Warren scribbled:

> damn.. i rememebr talking about that long ago and agreeing on raw RGBA
> data because its liekly the WM wont be using the default root visual -
> especially on multi-depth since in most cases the default visual is the
> one thats ,less capable. it also removes any ability for the icons to
> have anti-aliasing, soft shadows etc. - RGBA data can easily encompass
> anything you can do with a pixmap but can do more.

Ok.  So what is the basis for this comment:

"Before anyone suggests passing raw image data to the WM, I will say that
is IMO a really bad idea."

Is it just the burden that it will place on the WM for rendering these
icons?

> if the wm doesnt have an RGBA backend one will appear as an X extension
> in the future anyway... so if you dont want to write the code to trnder
> it.. you wont have to... and to write naevee (perhaps not so fast code)
> to render it into apixmap - even withotu dithering and alpah blending -
> just thresholding, is pretty trivial.
>
> i'd prefer a standard that thinks ahead and doesn't do things just
> because it's cheap and convenient.

Likewise.  I'd be grateful if the author of the above comment (Marko?) or
someone else could explain the issues.

cheers,

Paul