Spec Purpose and Definition

The main reason I am recommending we define before we move on is regarding
issues like the pager. Do we provide for a generic UI-implemented pager,
or do we abandon those?

I recommend that we do not abandon the pager. In my opinion, this would be
the purpose and definition of compliance to this specification:

"An extended set of hints which can be set as appropriate by the window
manager and other applications to provide a strong integration between
desktop interfaces and the window manager. Compliance to this
specification will easily allow information to be shared between the
desktop interfaces and the window manager. Examples of this include
support of a pager to notify the window manager of workspace switching
requests and display of current workspaces, workspace names, windows, and
window names. Other examples of this include file managers which occupy
the root window, and application swallowing into either the window
manager's wharf/dock/deck/slit or a taskbar. This will also define a
common set of configuration parameters to allow the window manager to be
controlled via a control center."

Please expand, refine, retract items off of this. This covers what I
personally envision: to be using the gnome panel with the gnome pager,
with the blackbox window manager, with the K cd player docked in the slit
along with wmmon and GnomeICU.

Granted, you can run this setup as it exists now, but GnomeICU will
swallow into the gnome panel, the kscd icon will not be docked but will be
floating aimlessly without the KDE panel, and BlackBox/GNOME pager
interaction without the patch does not exist and with the patch is only of
marginal use (considering you can't switch desktops with it yet).

Now perhaps my personal vision does not match the list, and when it comes
to specifications, it is a consensus of the people who will actually
commit to implementing it. But let's strongly define what it is we plan to
do before progressing too much futher.

--Nathan.

Nathan P. Clemons                       "Peace favor your code."
nathan@windsofstorm.net                 ICQ: 2810688
IN CONSTRUCTION:                        http://gnome.windsofstorm.net