Re: Greetings

>One comment/suggestion that I have has to do with the event proxy idea
>(specifically the ButtonPress proxy described in the current spec).  Plain
>and simple, I don't think it's a good idea trying to circumvent a design
>strategy of X.  Problems could arise with applications fighting over
>control of the cursor, which is why X only allows one client at a time to
>receive a ButtonPress event.

If the new Gnome desktop manager uses a virtual root window (I think there
are a lot of arguments for it doing so), it could pass any unwanted mouse
clicks to the "real" root window using a send event. There would be no
problem with multiple apps trying to act on the mouse click, because only the
wm can receive events on the root window.

This method requires no modification to the window manager, although the
desktop manager must define which mouse clicks will be made available to the
window manager.

Michael Rogers