WM Spec Purpose, etc.

Please note that this is my view, and does not necessarily reflect the
same to the list. Please comment on this and let's get down to voting on
what we really want to support in this spec.

Purpose: An extended set of hints which can be set as appropriate by the
window manager and other applications to provide a strong integration
between desktop interfaces and the window manager.

Compliance: Compliance to this specification will easily allow information
to be shared between the desktop interfaces and the window manager. This
will also define a common set of configuration parameters to allow the
window manager to be controlled via a control center or configuration
tool.

Examples: Examples include support of a pager to notify the window manager
of workspace switching requests and display of current workspaces,
workspace names, windows, and window names. Other examples of this include
file managers displaying icons to the root window, and application
swallowing into either the window manager's wharf/dock/deck/slit or a
taskbar.

What we are trying to cover boils down to:

* Pagers

   Available task-lists for applications to access from the WM, ability to
drag apps from window to window, ability to shift workspaces, and modify
properties in a limited fashion on apps in the task list.

* Backgrounds

   One location to change them. In my opinion, this should not be a DE
task, unless there is a NEED to absolutely have the DE control the root
window. See below. With WM themes, this makes sense for me to belong to
the WM, or else WM themes need to not include a method to change the
background. Then users to gain a full theme effect will have to change
their backgrounds manually... not the way we want to do it, IMHO.

   OTOH, a common definition for determining transparency would be a "Good
Thing". I know WM and E support this (Esetroot and wmsetbg), and it would
be nice, but it would be nice not to exclude a good old xv -root from
being at least tolerated.

* Swallowed Apps (dock/wharf/slit/panel/taskbar)

   A window that can contain "swallowed" apps. This will vary depending on
the WM, and if none is present, something like the GNOME panel or the KDE
taskbar can cover for it. Or via the Control Center of the UI, disable
using the

* Icons on root window (file managers and applications)

   Some WMs allow iconized windows. Some don't. This is an important point
of individualization; if I were to run OLVWM, I would want to have the
icons you get by default. If I were running blackbox, I wouldn't. There
should be a method so that whomever controls the root window will display
icons for other applications. IE, the WM contacting the UI-based FM to put
an icon on the root window for an iconized app; or the FM contacting the
WM to put a shortcut to the GNOME website on the root window. Disabling
all application iconization for the purpose of the file managers seems
like a "Bad Thing" in my opinion.

* Notification windows

   Like discussed before, a class of windows that are alerts, etc.

* Menus on root window (WM and UI)

   If the WM is not controlling the root window, then you can either
disable the WM menus (not a good idea, IMHO), or find a way to communicate
between them. In my opinion, the WM should accept responsibility of the
root window and create icons as needed for the File Managers, etc. for
shortcuts. Then it can control the menus, and you can use the panel or
kpanel for the UI specific menus.

I'm probably missing some things, but I think these are the ones that
really define what we are trying to accomplish in this specification for a
basic compatibility and interoperability. If there needs to be a more
KDE-specific specification or a more GNOME-specific specification, then
that can be something that assumes that this specification is already
adhered to. I think that from at least what I have seen, the three major
things that people want are:

a.) non-redundant background settings
b.) file manager
c.) pager

and not in that order. This spec will go beyond that and I think should be
sufficient for the nonce.

--Nathan.

Nathan P. Clemons                       "Peace favor your code."
nathan@windsofstorm.net                 ICQ: 2810688
IN CONSTRUCTION:                        http://gnome.windsofstorm.net