Re: Window Manager configuration utilities

On Wed, 7 Jul 1999, Michael ROGERS wrote:

> Date: Wed, 07 Jul 1999 22:23:48 +0100
> From: Michael ROGERS <M.Rogers@cs.ucl.ac.uk>
> To: wm-spec-list@gnome.org
> Subject: Re: Window Manager configuration utilities
>
> >Did my message about this not make it through to the list?  This was my
> >comment in a nutshell, but I've not yet seen any responses to what I
> >wrote.
>
> Sorry not to have replied - your message got mentally filed under "this will
> require a lengthy response, do it later" and hasn't been seen since.
>
> I'm glad that someone is considering the question of window manager/desktop
> interaction from first principles, instead of trying to bend the current spec
> into shape. Here are my thoughts:

this is what i would like to see as well... trying to bend the gnome spec
into a generic spec doesn't seem like the most appropriate thing to do...

> There is a functional line between window management and the services
> provided by a desktop environment. Some existing window managers cross this
> line because they attempt to provide a complete DE in one program. The Gnome
> pager crosses this line because it attempts to split the window manager into
> two programs. Our first task is to identify this line.
>
> There are UI features from other environments which we would like to see
> incorporated into X, like special window decorations for toolbars and the
> ability to maximise windows. There are also some native ideas which we might
> like to improve, like the use of multiple workspaces and session management.
> Any enhancements which are made must also take into account the relationship
> between the window manager and the desktop environment. Therefore this
> relationship must be defined *first* - we cannot agree on a spec until this
> has been done. To define the technical details without agreeing on a
> cooperation framework is pointless.

another problem i think that most of us are having is a concrete set of
specific goals... instead of one generic goal... we need to
brainstorm/suggest/create/flame ideas and form specific goals which will
help us realize our general desktop-window manager intercommunication (to
steal the term) spec