Re: Window Manager configuration utilities

>I disagree. For those window managers which implement virtual desktops as
>different screens :0.0, :0.1, etc. their config tool could have a method
>to set backgrounds based on the workspace. I do not believe GNOME has this
>functionality, and it should be left to the WM config tool to handle. And
>considering that background images are set by a majority of themes, I
>think this is the easiest way.

The Gnome desktop code is being separated from the file manager - I guess
this will mean a substantial rewrite. I'm sure support for multiple
backgrounds, with an appropriate interface to allow the window manager, web
browser or image editor to set the background for a given desktop with
session persistence, could be added.

Not that I'm volunteering.  ;)

Michael Rogers