Re: Work in Progress: draft 1.9a

>> > I would go further and say that the application should not request any state
>> > beyond visible/iconified/hidden. The rest is up to the user.
>> >

>> I agree.
>
>The user requests these things through the application. For example a "startup
>maximize" option in a preference dialog.

We should try to standardise this type of behaviour, ie it should be handled
by the window manager or by the desktop environment. For example, E allows
you to remember a window size for each application. That makes more sense
than adding a "remember window state" dialog to every application.

>Again: we are talking hints here. If a window manager is broken in that
>respect, people will simply not use it. Except those who just run Netscape and
>a bunch of xterms, but that's surely not the kind of users we are talking about
>here.
>
>I'm really getting tired of this kind of fundamental discussion. The percentage
>of users, especially new Linux users, using KDE or Gnome should be enough of a
>proof.

It proves that people want an environment with standardised behaviour.
Allowing every app to have 360 degrees of freedom is not going to lead to
standardised behaviour.

Michael Rogers